While walking upright definitely has its advantages, it also puts an immense amount of pressure on your spine. Add this to improper sitting, poor posture, and the normal wear-and-tear of physical activities, and you have the perfect recipe for compromised spine health and back pain on your hands.
To maintain proper spine health and to reduce the amount of back pain you experience on a regular basis:
- Have your spine regularly checked by your chiropractor to ensure you don’t have any spinal misalignments.
- Make sure you are eating a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight for your height.
- Remain active and avoid prolonged periods of inactivity or bed rest, unless otherwise advised by a healthcare professional.
- Always warm up and stretch before any type of physical activity, including hobbies like gardening or walking your dogs.
- Maintain proper posture whenever you sit down, lie in your bed, or stand up.
- Wear comfortable shoes with a low heel, especially if your occupation requires you to walk or stay on your feet for extended periods of time.
- When you lift heavy items, always lift with your knees and avoid twisting your spine around in the process.
If you have been covering your symptoms with pain killers, turn to us at Greater Life Chiropractic in Charlotte, NC. With a thorough knowledge of the functioning and the structure of the human body, including spine health, we can provide solutions that correct the cause of the pain.